Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Q&A with fashion designer Vicky Tiel



Laketown Township —
Fashion designer Vicky Tiel will be the centerpiece of the Dec. 1 "It's All About the Dress" fundraiser at the Felt Mansion in Laketown Township. Here are a few of her thoughts on fashion, stars and "sex for shoes."

Q: What is it about dresses from the early 1900s that inspire you as a fashion designer?
A: When you go to be a fashion designer, they make you learn the history of costumes. We’re all influenced by the fast. It repeats itself on the average of seven years.

Q: What advice would you give a gal who doesn’t know what style of dress best suits her?
A: Get a good girlfriend. Get a girlfriend who knows. Many women will just give you bad advice because they’re jealous or they want your man. If you get a really, really clever girlfriend and say, ‘Please help me.’ Get a stylist and get help then once you see, you train your eye to learn how you should look.

Q: Who has been your favorite star to dress?
A: Elizabeth (Taylor) for sure. Not only did I dress her, but she was my mentor and she taught me about power. She had a complete knowledge of soft power. It’s a great expression. Soft power is not enforcing it, never circling the truth. ... You let other people get their way and you softly run the show. You let other people make decisions and you only stomp down on the big ones.

Q: An expression that has stuck with you over the years is from your dad when he said, “Don’t have sex for shoes.” Tell me more about that.
A: It was true. My dad was a very, very successful Washington, D.C., builder. He was a self-made millionaire and he never remarried after divorcing my mother. He dated many women who were all after his money. His disgust with that led me to be an early feminist and say, "I’m making my own money" and since the ‘60s I’ve always made my own money and never had a backer. I still today have not sold the name Vicky Tiel to somebody. I think that’s the same as no sex for shoes.

Q: What fashion trends or styles do you love and what do you hate?
A: I like the short skirts. ... I’m not a big maxi (dress) man nor am I a jeans fan. I’m a glamour girl. On the farm I wear fabulous outfits. If I wear pants, they’re tight, tight pants. I’m not a white blouse and jeans girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment